i was pretty surprised myself that being such a BIG cricket freak, I have only 1 decent post on cricket.
So here is one more, inspired by the ratings given my times of india for cricketers in a series. Only difference, my gradings will be IIT-ishtyle….
1. Rahul Dravid : AA: for steady batting in the tests, important knocks in the one days, and above all for great strategy and leading from the front and leading with example…
2. Sachin Tendulkar:AB:do not think he failed in tests, was pretty unlucky with all three dismissals, but was an important contributor in the ODIs, for silencing the critics with three majestic innings, and for picking up the dangerous inzy twice…
3. Virender Sehwag:BB:great innings up front in the first test, but then nothing to write home about. also, the injury put him off….
4. Yuvraj Singh:AA: star of the series..apart from one little blemish in failslabad, was perfect in the tour. His consistency has lent more teeth into the indian attack, and is causing premature greying of the hair for Ganguly…. (btw, ganguly must be grinning now that yuvi is mostly out of the first test against the poms!!)….
5. Irfan Pathan:AB:for an amazing hat-trick, for controlled bowling in the ODIs and for an important innings in faislabad. But, i felt was a little disappointing in bowlig, esp lack of pace and penetration in the tests….
6. Mahendra Singh Dhoni:AA:for incredible power hitting and sensible batting. Finally, I think India has her answer to gilchrist. showed the temeprement and maturity to bat in tests also. the biggest plus point is that he is so damn cool, and loves the pressure cooker situation
7. Ajit Agarkar and 8. Zaheer Khan:CCnot just good enough…seems to have lost their bite…
9. Shreeshanth:BB:looks to be a good bowler. is aggresive, has control over the ball and likes to bowl fast….
10.Harbhajan and 11.Kumble:CD: yup, i agree the pitches did not suit them, but they are not among the worlds best spinners for bowling on square turners. i just feel, it is time kumnle retires from playing test matches abroad. he takes wickets but gives away too much runs. hardly found a good testing line and length in the test series…
12. V.V.S.Laxman:BC:again played a good knock in faislabad….
13. R.P.Singh:AB:a good find for india. looks good. bowled his heart out on the flat faislabad track and looked like he would pick wickets in the ODIs, a man for the future….
14. S.C.Ganguly:BB:looked solid in karachi…had to pay for the only two mistakes committed in the tests…somehow i feel deserves another chance
15. Kaif and 16. Raina: AU:not much of their services in batting needed, but made thier presence felt in the field.
well, now a look at some of the pakis
1. Inzamam:BC:for a man who was supposedly in the best form of his life, did not play quite well, esp in the ODIs. plus, negative points for horrible strategy and ignorance of the rules…
2. Mohd. Yousuf:BB: looks like the new name and the beard is not suiting him. even though got a couple of centuries and all, never looked like the dangerous and the majestic youhana of the past. missed his flowing drives and lofte flicks in the series….(come on! those are beautiful shots)
3. Younis Khan:AA: well, i am a fan of this fella. can’t just put a wrong foot against india, i guess. but, i think he is a natural leader and pakis would be better off asking inzy to only concentrate on his batting. plus, looks a great prospect for close-up ad. always smiling and chirpy. i just love his attitude.
4. Shahid Afridi:AA: Oh my GOD! this guy has become a mature player. great power hitter, but was kind of good to see such a guy bat with some thought. made good viewing: afridi leaving the ball and blocking some.
5. Shohaib Akhthar:BB: Did not look menancing except for a couple of hours in faislabad. behave ungentelemanly the next day. but, still his name gives others the shivers
6. Kamran Akmal:AB: a man for the future. great century in karachi….opening is not the spot for him i feel…..
7. Mohd Asif:AB: find of the series for the pakis. looked out of sorts in the final 2 ODIs…
8. A. Razzaq:BB:just because he has perfected the way to get sachin out!!!
Finally, a big AA to all the umpires,
AAs to micheal holding, imran khan, nasir hussain, dean jones and manjeraker for great commentry and analysis. AB to Arun Lal, L.Shivaramakrishnan and Waqar younis for immense improvement in commentry,
and personal prejudice here, a BBfor Ramiz raja for the most one dimensional commentry ever. speaks only about the pakis, and in such a way that the he makes the opposition look like a bunch of school kids….
Phew, that was one long post.
here is the guide to the grades
AA:10, AB:9, BB: 8, BC:7, CC:6, CD:5, DD:4